Saturday, January 17, 2009

Liming in Grenada NOT!!!

What does it mean to “lime”? It is a term used here to describe how people laze around doing nothing productive. This term came into common use when the British (the limeys) landed on the island and the sailors would just sit around taking up space and using up oxygen. So am I liming around on the Spice Isle??? Heck no! It has been a few days and in that time I have set up my dorm room (single bed, small closet and a desk with a shelf above), scouted out supermarkets (outrageously priced food everywhere), registered, bought a cell phone, introduced myself to about a third of my classmates (about 100 of 300ish), picked up my books using a suitcase to haul them across campus, figured out how to get money, started to find some of the things I couldn’t bring in my already heavy suitcases, wandered around getting acquainted with the campus and took some pictures to add to this post. The reality that the honeymoon is almost over set in when picking up books (11 books about 40 lbs.)

I had a great time touring the nutmeg and mace factory and the Concord waterfalls. Grenada is one of the principle suppliers of nutmeg, mace, cinnamon, cocoa and some pretty potent rum. I have found the best fruit and vegetable stand outside of Food Fair close to Grand Anse campus. The woman that runs it is so friendly and gave me and my room mate some cashew fruit to try... she has me hooked for life!
It is beautiful and hot, the people are friendly and the diversity of the students amazes me. I start my classes on Monday and I know it will be intense, but I am looking forward to seeing what I can do. I stopped by the anatomy lab during a tour of campus and the smell of formaldehyde/formalin filled the air.... can't wait to start learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment