Sunday, January 18, 2009

A New Life and a Way to Dawn...

I have to admit the first night I arrived to Grenada, I hated the place. Small airport, no lights of the island when flying in, customs taxing my computer, hot humid weather, no food, and a room that reeks of mold and is hot/humid as the air outside. By far, it seemed to be a nightmare. I don't know how people explain it is a beautiful place by my first impressions, but the next day seemed to change my mind. With the sun out, life seemed far better. Registration, getting a cheap phone, and meeting new friends led to a trip to the Grand Anse beach. The beach was awesome, the IGA food market and security guards were not. The food marts are extremely overpriced charging 2.5 EC for each apple, 5.5 EC for each pear, and an outrageous 75EC for a small bag of coffee. Luckily I don't drink coffee, but the price of these items in USD is roughly $1 per apple, $2 per pear, and $30 for the small coffee bag. Outrageous as I said. I ended buying only a few items of food and paying about $60 for it. The security guard at Grand Anse are also mean as they refused to allow me on the bus back from the beach because my t-shirt was mildly wet. I was stuck for about an hour before being able to go back to campus.

Nightlife is out of control. Club Bananas is the main bar people go to and it is open 24hrs a day literally. I have gone to this place almost every night, and it seems to never get old. Other clubs I went to were Stewarts (where the guards frisk you before going in) and Aquarium which was a wicked bar that was also on the beach. Nightlife is sweet as I said, but you will always encounter douches along the way, such as I did at a open bar in Bananas. A 4th termer came up to me and started talking shit about how 1st termers is dumb shits and how he was better than me. I pointed out the obvious that he was drunk and being a complete douche to people he has no idea of. He then send his posse to start fights with me, but I came out on top by straight talking them back down. There is no need for upper classmen to be rude to new students, so they needed to get their heads straight, which I did. Go TEAM VENTURE!

Overall, my general impression of the school and island prior to classes (as they start tomorrow) is that I actually just want to finish my two years as quickly as possible and go home. Grenada is great, but in large dosages, it is hazardous to one's health (both mentally and physically). Administration (well mostly the IT department) seems not that great either, but I have always faced poor adminstrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment